Blue Willow China has always been part of my life. From my girlhood, I remember my grandmother's sisters bustling around the Farm kitchen and dining room, preparing a meal for our extended family, slapping large bowl-shaped plates on the long table, each one a magical world of BLUE.

My grandmother, Eva, on the right.
Two of her sisters, Nina and Myrtle.
Taken at the Farm in the 50s.
I remember how my Dad disliked those plates with their complicated pattern. Old world. He was of the New World, thank you very much, a rising young architect in post-World War II Michigan, aspiring to follow the example of Frank Lloyd Wright. He bought the plain flat "modern china" of Russell Wright for our modern home.
Maybe that's why I automatically LOVED the Blue Willow. I was my father's daughter, after all, rebel, maverick, independent thinker.I started a Blue Willow collection of my own later in life, all the family china long gone, lost to unscrupulous antique dealers who used to visit the Farm and sweet-talk Aunt Nina out of something for a bit of cash. Old Junk, in her opinion. Priceless family heirloom, I now know, I think I knew then, too.
My Blue Willow collection took a different turn in the 80s as I started collecting windmill China. Anything with windmills, Dutch windmills. I was raised in Dutch Reformed Grand Rapids--visited the Holland Tulip Festival ever spring as a girl--had friends and teachers with names like Vander Hoosen and Vander Veen.
I still have her note, explaining that this belonged to my Grandmother Knapp. Both the note from my mother and the mustard server are precious to me.



2 comments:
That's a wonderful story, and I think the Willoware is beautiful. I am more of a Russel Wright girl myself, but I see the beauty of the old ornate patterns. I can understand why you love the Willoware. It's a connection to your childhood, to your family.
Kaycie--You're right. The china is a connection to my family. But I must admit, I'm more of a Pottery Barn White China girl now, myself. But I still keep my Blue Willow China in the cupboard with the White China. I just can't bring myself to part with my own collection!
Post a Comment