Within in the space of seven days, a couple of rare visits occurred in my life. They are so rare and strangely coincidental as to raise the hairs on the back of a neck.
A quick background: I was born and raised in Michigan. Born in Detroit, raised in Grand Rapids. My family on my father's side originated on a Farm in Kent County, about a half hour northeast of Grand Rapids. It's still a"mecca" for my family, most sides of it.

Of the eight children of my great grandfather, John I. Weeks, who lived to adulthood only four had children of their own: John P, Grant, Myrtle, and Eva. I have until lately experienced almost no contact or knowledge of any of the lines other than my own, the Eva branch.

Irving, Grant, Nina, Myrtle, John P., Winnie, Rose, Eva
A couple of years ago, I began an email/telephone relationship with a second cousin from the John P. branch, Lois. I quite honestly had no idea she existed when I was a kid, and come to find out, the same went for her.

At the funeral of my dear cousin, Bud, I ran into my newly befriended cousin, Lois, and invited her down to Missouri for a visit. And last weekend, we finally pulled it off. Lois drove to Missouri, bringing many Michigan treasures with her to my home in Missouri.
I honestly have to say, it felt like my childhood STATE of Michigan came to Missouri to visit me. It was a great visit.
We shared many photos, discovered Lois in many of my old photos of the Farm--I just didn't know it was her--oohed and aahed over many ancient Family treasures, and shared many family stories and memories. It's quite rare for me to run into someone who remembers the same old people and places from long ago.
My dad is on the right with his camera.
I will blog again on some of our nicest moments, including, a treasure trove of art drawn by my grandfather, Clifford that NO ONE, including my father ever knew about, also rare Bibles, books, photos, and stories of the Farm.
MISSOURI TO MICHIGAN
Now, the mirror image, sort of...

My daughter, Sarah, flew to Detroit early this week. Yup, a member of my immediate family here in Missouri actually went back to my birth city for a quick business trip! I'm thinking this was probably the first time she has ever stepped FOOT in the state of my childhood.
I will blog again on some of our nicest moments, including, a treasure trove of art drawn by my grandfather, Clifford that NO ONE, including my father ever knew about, also rare Bibles, books, photos, and stories of the Farm.
MISSOURI TO MICHIGAN
Now, the mirror image, sort of...

My daughter, Sarah, flew to Detroit early this week. Yup, a member of my immediate family here in Missouri actually went back to my birth city for a quick business trip! I'm thinking this was probably the first time she has ever stepped FOOT in the state of my childhood.

I don't find the business trip itself odd. Sarah travels for her job. It's just the positioning of this trip--occurring at the same time that Lois was driving back to Grand Rapids, Michigan--that strikes me as interesting.
Sentimental old fool that I am, I feel all warm inside when I think about it all. Michigan to Missouri, Missouri to Michigan. It's not often a person gets a chance to revisit memories and childhood with such intensity. The normal hub-bub of life usually takes precedence over warm fuzzies.
Sure is fun, though. And to top it all off, I drove to St. Louis this weekend to visit my daughter Sarah and her husband, Dan. I helped her put on a baby shower for Dan's sister, Colleen.
Colleen and Sarah
The Circle of Life moves on...


2 comments:
Nice story. Another case of synchronicity.
That's the word! Synchronicity! Yes, it was quite the interesting connection! My life teems with these some months...
Post a Comment